Thursday, June 09, 2005

Telling Stories

When I tell stories, let's say on the phone or to a person I know or to a person I don't know, I tend to take a long, a very long time. Of course I need to include background information, my shift in mood every second of every minute, details like the color of the sky, the curl in hair.

With photographs, visual details may be present, enough for me to shut up a bit, but when I look at one of my photos on its own without any of its brothers and sisters, the story seems incomplete. I want to know what happened before and what happened after and what happened in between and what was happening outside of the frame, next to the frame, in the heads of the people inside and outside of the frame. If a million people had cameras and could take pictures of people taking pictures I might be satisfied. But that would take the fun out of things, like the joy of guessing and wondering--and inventing elaborate stories to tell about what happened outside of the frame, inside the heads.

I say all of this before posting four pictures as a way of explaining why I'm posting FOUR pictures and as a way to say no, never, really can one completely capture a little person, or a big person.

But I get a kick out of trying.

1

2

3

4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home