Thursday, February 03, 2005

Hide and Seek

Yesterday we did not leave the house until two in the afternoon. Not because I didn't want to, but because my child would not put clothes on her body. At three years old it is almost impossible for me to force her into shirt and pants. Shoes are out of the question. And anyway, using physical force does not feel right. Feeling pretty desperate, I offered a bribe. Vanilla milk from the Lone Gull. Stickers from Fun Among Us. A peanut butter chocolate cookie from Trader Joes. Not accepted. I offered to play the counting game. "How long will it take for you to put your left leg into your spotted pants?" "Your big toe into your rainbow spotted sock?" She didn't fall for it.

Head to head. Eye to eye. Nothing giving.

I am a girl who needs to leave my house at least once a day. I know this about myself. I need to see people's faces, their eyeballs, their drama. I needed out and my three year old would not cooperate. And then it came to me. In a fit of desperation. After much begging and pleading. Of course. Hide and seek, but with clothes. And the rule is: every time you find an article of clothing, you MUST put it on then and there. She agreed.

Pink cherry blossom shirt hidden on top of the pretty bed pillows sitting on top of the radiator that never go on the bed because I hardly ever make the bed. Shrieks of delight. Shirt on.

Brown courderoy polka dotted pants hidden in the bathtub. Check.

Pink and blue striped socks. A clue. "What does Cole wear on his bum?" "Diapers. Oh, the socks are in the diapers." More laughing.

Downstairs. Red and blue boots purchased on sale at Mark Adrian, but coming apart where the laces tie, hidden underneath purple ballerina skirt that Jeff's mom made as a party favor. Both on.

Coat hidden behind the books. Clue: "What do you like to do the most?" This took some time, but finally. "Oh. Read books." Check.

Funky pink and green Nanny hat, with spikes, hidden in the sunflower basket conveniently located on the porch close to door. Check.

Total time to play game: about 10 minutes. Better than kicking and screaming. Yes, but. How long can I keep this up? And should I keep this up? Do most children put their clothes on when asked, or even bribed? She is headstrong, like her mother. In search of fun, like her mother. And she'll probably be tired of this game in a week, like her mother. Sometimes we wonder where our children come from, but for me it is clear. Aidan is my daughter. I only have to look at myself to see this.

Most days I think I am up to the challenge that is Aidan, but I'm really going to need some help from you Amanda. You are creative and not afraid to challenge back. This is what Aidan and I need. Also hoping that you'll post soon so this blog doesn't become entirely about me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home