Monday, May 09, 2005

Windfall

Writing here because I have to tell someone about the envelope that came with today's mail, my husband mostly unreachable by phone. Worried when I saw return address: Internal Revenue Service, math not my best subject. Opened up envelope only to discover that they want to give me money. Seems I didn't take a credit that I could have. Seems they want me to have it--and even sent a form with instructions telling me how to get it. Even sent an envelope with a see-through window and their address. Even sent the correct publication and form. All I have to do is plug in a few numbers and sign a document or two. And they'll send me money. I don't know what to think.

This windfall is not enough to get this country out of a mess in Iraq, but it's enough for some travel, enough to purchase a little sun and a drink or two in some bar some other place. It's also enough to pay the credit card bill, pay for car repairs--which is, of course, the responsible thing to do. But who says I'm feeling responsible? Today.

So what would you do with a bunch of money? Where would you go? Who would you see? I'm looking for answers here--and maybe a little rationalization and justification. Come on. Please make my day. Again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home