Saturday, November 20, 2004

Borges

I like blogging. There is something deeply satisfying about it. I also see danger for myself, the danger of always being able to read what I have written.

I agree with Amanda. I do not want my mind to "turn to mush." So I'm doing things that aren't really important, but feel important. Like writing e-mails to anti-feminists. Why can't they be "for" something instead of "against"? (What is the question mark rule with quotations?) And I'm reading Borges. The following quotation makes me feel like I am thinking about something. It was written by Francis Bacon: Essays, LVIII and opens Borges' story "The Immortal."

"Solomon saith: There is no new thing upon the earth. So that as Plato had an imagination, that all knowledge was but remembrance; so Solomon giveth his sentence, that all novelty is but oblivion."

Borges goes on to write a story about a man's quest for immortality. This man meets a Troglodyte (people who "devour serpents and lack all verbal commerce"), names him Argos after Odysseus' dog only to discover that Argos is the immortal Homer. After living as an immortal for some time, this same man seeks the river whose waters take immortality away. The reader is left wondering if any of the above actually happened.

So my mind is dancing and it feels like thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home