Saturday, March 05, 2005

If I Had an Evil Twin

Don't read this post if you haven't finished Lady Chatterley's Lover and want to or if you were hoping for happy.

So much I liked about the book, but not the ending. Seems right for Connie to leave Clifford and Wragby. Seems right for Mellors to divorce and have trouble in the process. Seems right for Clifford to become a child fascinated by Ivy Bolton's breasts. Seems right for Connie to have a baby. But Mellors pathetically waiting for Connie to show up at the farm? The letters and the longing and the idea that they would want to be together? Perhaps brilliance on Lawrence's part that there is no meeting of the two in the end, as if to say who ends up together anyway? and all the while a reader may be expecting her to show.

Blame March funk for the cynical tone, if you want.

Or maybe it's my evil twin writing and I forgot to tell you. Difficult even for me to know what I really think. Trying, trying to write my way through it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home